FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) -This was supposed to be the first day of one of Fort Wayne’s biggest parties. Instead, it is the beginning of an online event.
The Three Rivers Festival is going virtual, as much as it can. Organizers are promising some videos and an online scavenger hunt, as well as an ‘ethnic food selfie challenge.’ There will also be art, from home, and memories of past Three Rivers Festivals, also from home.
The following was released on Thursday:
When the Three River Festival Board of Directors made the difficult decision to postpone the 52nd Three Rivers Festival to 2021 due to COVID-19, we also began work on alternative and virtual ways to celebrate Fort Wayne, our rivers, and everything that makes our community strong. Our annual opening ceremony would have taken place on Friday, July 10. Instead, we will take that day to join Mayor Tom Henry in proclaiming “Jerry White Day” and celebrate the 50 years of volunteerism with the Three Rivers Festival. Jerry has been an active board member and an integral part of this community event and has been a wonderful example to others on giving back to the community and making a difference. Here are other events on the schedule for our 2020 Virtual Celebration:
● This Saturday, July 11, at noon, the Three Rivers Festival has teamed up with ABC 21 WPTA for the “Best of the Three Rivers Festival Parade.” This televised special will look back at the floats and fun over the past few decades at one of TRF’s biggest events.
● We are also excited to announce a special boat tour video of our three rivers being produced with WANE-TV to share the history and growth of one of the city’s most prominent features. Details on how to view this special will be announced soon.
● Each year, we celebrate Fort Wayne’s diverse community with our International Village event. There are several opportunities to participate including a scavenger hunt highlighting international points of interest in downtown Fort Wayne, an ethnic food selfie challenge promoting local ethnic restaurants, and local cultural performances that will be shared on TRF social media. Details for these International Village events can be found here
● Trivia Night at the Three Rivers Festival will continue as an online event with the help of Tincture of Trivia. A one-hour online trivia competition will be held on Wednesday, July 15. Details are available here
● The Fort Wayne Museum of Art Chalk Walk has been a trademark event held on Main Street in downtown Fort Wayne since 2000. We encourage families and artists to participate in their Chalk Walk at Home. Details can be found here
We’ll also highlight some of the great memories of festivals past on our social media accounts throughout July.