FORT WAYNE, Ind. (ADAMS) – Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– The biggest popular vote margin in U.S. presidential election history was . . . Warren Harding winning by a 26.17% margin over James Cox in 1920.
– Since Easter is based on the vernal equinox, the earliest it can possibly be is March 22nd. But the last time Easter was March 22nd was 1818 . . . and the next time will be in 2285. (The latest it can be is April 25th. That will happen next in 2038.)
– The word “sheriff” is a combination of two Old English words: “shire” and “reeve.” A “reeve” was a person who was responsible for keeping things peaceful in the shire.
– The horse head in “The Godfather” wasn’t a fake prop. It was an actual dead horse’s head they got from a dog food plant in New Jersey.
– It takes approximately 540 peanuts to make one 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
Strange and trending news:
– A new survey found the top cyborg improvements we’d want include perfect eyesight, the power to heal instantly . . . and “improved attractiveness.” (Full Story)
– A physicist built a new online calculator that tells you exactly how long it’ll take to chill your BOOZE and get it down to an optimal temperature. Just google the phrase “Chilled Drink Calculator.” (Full Story)
– The National Toy Hall of Fame just announced its 12 finalists for this year. They include Care Bears . . . coloring books . . . Jenga . . . He-Man . . . Matchbox cars . . . My Little Pony . . . and the smartphone. The few that will be inducted into the Hall of Fame will be announced in November. (Full Story)
– Apple’s new iPhone has three camera lenses on the back . . . and apparently that’s triggering people who suffer from TRYPOPHOBIA. (TRIP-uh-foh-bee-yuh.) That’s a fear of a cluster of holes . . . and apparently, up to 5% of people have at least a mild form of it. (Full Story)
– Apparently, the new SEXTING trend is for people to send each other filthy messages and pictures through a shared GOOGLE DOC. One woman who does it with her boyfriend calls it the, quote, “Modern love letter.” (Full Story)
– If aliens ever contact us, should we respond? According to a new survey, 56% of people say yes . . . 14% say no. (Full Story)
– I can’t believe we need to say this but . . . don’t rub toothpaste on your junk to last longer in bed. Apparently, there are lots of videos floating around online recommending you do that, but there’s no proof it works . . . and you could wind up causing irritation and burning for both you and your partner. (Full Story)
– Heinz just announced a new version of its ketchup that blends in carrots and butternut squash, too. They say 25% of the ketchup is made up of those added vegetables . . . and it’s hitting stores now. (Full Story)
– A new study ranked the 100 biggest cities in the U.S. from the best place to celebrate Oktoberfest to the worst. And the best are New York City . . . Denver . . . and Portland, Oregon. (Full Story)
– A psychic from Florida managed to get $1.6 MILLION out of a woman over the course of seven years when she convinced the woman there was a CURSE on her. But eventually she admitted it was a scam . . . and she was just sentenced to three years and four months in prison for wire fraud. (Full Story)
– A family hiking in California recently got trapped on the wrong side of a river and didn’t have cell service. So they put a message in a bottle and sent it over a waterfall, hoping someone would find it. And they got rescued the next morning. (Full Story)