Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- In Finland, a tradition of getting drunk at home in your underwear is so commonplace that there’s a word for it, “kalsarikännit.” The rough translation is “pantsdrunk.”
- The guy who invented the safety pin in the mid-1800s came up with it because he desperately needed a way to make $15 to pay off a debt.
- There are only 644 people who’ve been in space. The definition of being in space is at least 50 miles above Earth.
- The guy who invented the revolving door came up with it because he hated having to open doors for women.
- People in Nigeria drink more Guinness in a year than people in Ireland.
(Wikipedia / MIT / World Space Flight / Slate / Irish Post)
Strange and trending news:
- Pepsi unveiled a new logo that will roll out in the U.S. this fall. It has blockier letters, and they’re all caps instead of all lowercase. The current logo has been around since 2008. (Full Story)
- A guy in Washington state walked out of a Target with cart full of stolen stuff . . . only to find a cop standing by the car he drove, which was also stolen. And inside the car, there were items stolen from ANOTHER Target. (Full Story)
- A man from Missouri was arrested on Saturday after violating a protection order, which he’d been served less than 40 MINUTES before. (Full Story)
- Fox News says that an old trend of putting lip balm on your EYELIDS . . . to “get high” . . . is back again, thanks to TikTok. But doctors are warning people NOT to do it because you can damage your eyes. (Full Story)
- A new poll has revealed that 48% of single people have received “unsolicited nude photos” from a date or a match on a dating app. (Full Story)
- Everyone has crazy schedules these days . . . including kids in school . . . but surveys continue to show that there’s value in family dinners. (Full Story)
- If you haven’t heard, the photo of Pope Francis in a white puffer jacket that was going viral is FAKE. It was created using AI. (Full Story)
- You could probably beat ChatGPT at . . . Wordle. (Full Story)
- California passed a law that will supposedly penalize gas companies for price gouging. (Full Story)