Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- “Of” and “off” were once the exact same word, but in a stressed versus unstressed pronunciation. It wasn’t until the 17th century that they developed different uses to the point where they were considered different words.
- About 80% of Trader Joe’s products are its own store brand.
- When Frank Baum was writing “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz”, he got the name “Oz” from his filing cabinet. One drawer was “A to G” . . . one was “H to N” . . . and one was “O to Z.”
- The movie“Babe” used 48 different pigs to play Babe . . . and one animatronic one.
(Mental Floss / Eat This / Google / IMDb)
Strange and trending news:
- Today is known as “The Day the Music Died.” It’s the anniversary of the fatal plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and P. Richardson back in 1959. “The day the music died” is from Don McLean’s “American Pie“.
- Amazon is recalling more than 13,000 children’s robes . . . because of a minor “flammability” issue. (???) No kids have been injured by the robes . . . but they do pose “a risk of burn injuries.” (Full Story)
- In a poll, 38% of people say they’ve gone to work sick just to prove it to their co-workers . . . but you should just stay home. 43% of people say it’s “selfish” when people come in sick, especially when they’re coughing. (Full Story)
- Brazil is having a brutal summer right now, with temperatures hitting 122 degrees Fahrenheit. So a zoo in Rio de Janeiro is giving some of their meat-eating animals “blood-flavored” popsicles. (Full Story)
- A boy in India walked into a room to take an exam . . . and realized that he was the only boy among 50 girls . . . so he FAINTED. His aunt said he was “nervous,” but he should be fine. (Full Story)
- A woman in Nebraska went into a Burger King bathroom last month and came out with a “strange bulge” in her pants. Turns out, she stole the PIPES between the toilet and the wall. (Full Story)
- This could come in handy: Someone taste-tested a bunch of frozen pizzas . . . and claims Red Baron is the best, followed by Rao’s. (Full Story)