Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- Reindeer can change the color of their eyes. Their eyes change from golden brown to blue during the dark Arctic winter months to help them catch more light. (However, they’re not able to change the color of their nose, which is why Rudolph was screwed.)(???)
- The University of Oregon’s duck mascot is based on Donald Duck . . . and it’s all legal, thanks to a special license the school got from Disney in the 1940s.
- A court case in 1985 decided Long Island, New York is not actually an island. That’s because the East River, which separates it from the mainland, was naturally too shallow for ships to make it through safely.
- The term “Hail Mary” for a long, desperate throw in football started in 1975 when Roger Staubach threw a 50-yard touchdown pass to win a playoff game for Dallas over Minnesota. And, in an interview after, he said, quote, “I guess you could call it a Hail Mary. You throw it up and pray.”
- Christopher Lloyd’s character is always hunched over in “Back to the Future” so he doesn’t tower over Michael J. Fox. Lloyd is 6-foot-1, Fox is 5-foot-4.
Strange and trending news:
- How important is SNOW during the holiday season? If given the option, 40% of people say they’d want to travel somewhere colder or snowier, rather than hotter and sunnier. (Full Story)
- The top Christmas gift ideas for PETS include: A new toy . . . treats . . . a “Christmas dinner” . . . a new bed . . . and a collar. (Full Story)
- A judge in Canada has allowed a class-action lawsuit against Epic Games . . . where parents are arguing that“Fortnite” is ADDICTIVE. (Full Story)
- A rancher in Canada is creating art that looks like stained glass . . . out of cow placentas. (Full Story)
- In a new poll, 23% of people say they’ve had a bad dream after eating cheese . . . and cheddar is the worst, followed by mozzarella and brie. (???) (Full Story)
- A 24-year-old man has been arrested for breaking into a home in New Jersey on Thanksgiving and stealing UNDERWEAR. (Full Story)
- 39% of people have witnessed someone shoplifting. (Full Story)
- Should these 18 Christmas things exist all year round? (Full Story)
- A suspected DUI driver speeding through the Las Vegas Strip told police she needed to use the bathroom. (Full Story)