Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- In 1840, a man named Friedrich Frobel first coined the term “kindergarten” because he believed that children should be nurtured “like plants in a garden.”
- The word “gymnasium” comes from the Greek verb “gymnazo” . . . which means “to train naked.”
- The guy who created the thesaurus, Peter Mark Roget, came up with it when he was 73 years old . . . after he retired from his career as a doctor, scientist, and inventor. He kept on editing new editions of it until he died 17 years later.
- There WAS a real Dr. Pepper. A pharmacist named Charles Alderton created the soda, and his boss named it after Dr. Charles T. Pepper, who he’d worked with earlier in his career. He also may have had a relationship with Pepper’s daughter.
- The original title for“Risky Business” was “White Boys Off the Lake” . . . but the studio eventually wanted something catchier.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Christmas Lights Day. So, consider this your gentle reminder that your partner wants the lights up SOMETIME this weekend.
- 1-in-3 people say THEY are the most festive person they know. (Full Story)
- One Subway location In Miami is selling FOOTLONG COOKIES on Sunday afternoon. It’s just a stunt to hype National Cookie Day. (Full Story)
- A surveillance camera in Florida caught a very bold thief openly dragging DOZENS of handbags out of a Burlington store on Black Friday. (Full Story)
- Seattle is the MOST expensive city for food delivery apps . . . while Lubbock, Texas is the least expensive. But no matter where you are or what service you use, you’re paying about 50% more to a delivery app than if you were ordering directly from the restaurant, thanks to fees, surcharges, and tips. (Full Story)
- Thousands of people in the U.K. gathered to watch their town’s Christmas lights get turned on . . . but nothing happened. The town council screwed up and forgot to tell the contractor when it was happening. The Christmas tree they were waiting on didn’t even have any lights on it. (Full Story)
- 19% of people admit they’ve cheated on a significant other. (Full Story)
- There’s a new map of the world’s most dangerous places for travelers, and it’s . . . what you’d expect.