Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- There is a word for someone giving an opinion on something they know nothing about. An ‘ultracrepidarian’ is someone who criticizes, judges or gives advice outside their expertise. (It’s pronounced“ultra-krep-eh-darian.”)
- Even though M. Night Shyamalan gets a lot of heat for making a bunch of bombs, all but one of his movies have been profitable. The only movie he ever made that lost money was his FIRST movie, “Wide Awake“, in 1998.
- The fax machine was invented about 30 years before the telephone.
- Every single Snickers bar, except the tiny Halloween-sized ones, are made in Waco, Texas. The same plant produces all the Starburst in North America.
- The official unit of measurement for one million years is a “mega-annus.” Heh.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Back to School Prep Day.
- New research shows simply WEARING a fitness tracker encourages you to walk up to 40 minutes more every day, which can result in shedding two pounds in just a few months. (Full Story)
- There’s video online of a young bear cub that was HIGH on “hallucinogenic honey” in Turkey. The honey wasn’t in the turkey . . . Turkey the country. The bear was rescued and treated by vets. (Full Story)
- A cat owner in the U.K. got tired of his cat bringing home dead “gifts” . . . so he created a special flap run by artificial intelligence that stops the cat from bringing its prey inside. It’s called OnlyCat. (Full Story)
- A bank robber in Italy may be wishing he had paid closer attention in physics class. He dug a tunnel to get into the basement of a bank . . . but he was caught when the tunnel collapsed on him. Firefighters rescued him, but it took eight hours. (Full Story)
- Oscar Mayer Gummy Hot Dogs are out now for the Halloween season.
- A woman in Australia took out a full-page ad to bust on her ex for cheating and claimed she bought it with the ex’s credit card. Then, a local bar, responded with a sign out front, apologizing on behalf of all cheating men. (Full Story)