Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- Nutmeg is a hallucinogen. The spice contains ‘myristicin,’ which is a natural compound that has mind-altering effects if ingested in large doses.
- LeBron James and Steph Curry were both born at Akron General Medical Center in Akron, Ohio . . . 38 months and 14 days apart.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger made $21,429 for every word he said in “Terminator 2: Judgment Day”. He only said 700 words and made $15 million, so that’s $21,429 per word.
- There’s at least one U.S. city named after every single planet, except Uranus. (There’s a place called “Uranus, Missouri,” but it’s not a real town, it’s just a name that a bunch of shops use to draw in tourists.)
- The word “escalate” comes from the word “escalator,” not vice versa. The escalator was invented in the late 1800s, and the word “escalate” originated in 1922.
Strange and trending news:
- Sunday is August 14th . . . exactly six months after Valentine’s Day . . . and someone deemed it “National Honeymoon Day.” And they can be a good idea. In a new poll, 84% of married couples who rate their relationship as “excellent” also say they travel together regularly. (Full Story)
- On Monday, a naked man in Florida threw a machete at another man and demanded his clothes. The man began to comply, but then the naked guy ran off. The other guy wasn’t hurt . . . he was hit by the machete’s HANDLE. (Full Story)
- A woman in Florida has made more than 11,000 harassing phone calls to an emergency line this year alone. She reportedly admitted that she “loves playing this game.” (Full Story)
- This probably isn’t shocking, but teens aren’t into Facebook anymore. In 2022, only 32% of teens aged 13 to 17 use Facebook . . . but in a previous survey from 2014, that figure was 71%. (Full Story)
- A special education teacher at a public school in Florida resigned because he had pictures of historic Black American heroes on his classroom walls . . . and another staff member yanked them down. The school is investigating. (Full Story)