Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- Wint-O-Green Life Savers make blue sparks in the dark when you bite on them because of “triboluminescence,” or light resulting from something being smashed.
- There’s a city in Alaska called Unalaska. It’s on a small island and its name comes from the Aleutian word “ounalashka,” which means “near the peninsula.”
- The average American spends more on their pets every year than they do on alcohol or movies.
- The psych disorder with the highest mortality rate is . . . anorexia. Between 5% and 20% of people who suffer from it wind up dying because of it.
- Dogs sweat through their feet.
Strange and trending news:
- Shortages lead to surpluses? Remember when there was a hand sanitizer shortage? New York made 11 million bottles of hand sanitizer . . . and now it has an extra 700,000 gallons that it can’t get rid of. (Full Story)
- Late Tuesday night, there was a shooting at a Taco Bell in Georgia. Then, while investigators were still on the scene, there was another, unrelated shooting at the neighboring McDonald’s. Two teenagers were injured in the Taco Bell shooting . . . but no one was hurt in the McDonald’s incident. (Full Story)
- A new study suggests that pugs face such serious health conditions they can “no longer be considered a typical dog from a health perspective.” (Full Story)
- TikTok stars in Pakistan are in trouble for deliberately setting forest fires to make their videos more dramatic, so they can rack up more views. (???) The country is also dealing with a record heatwave. (Full Story)
- McDonald’s has a new dessert: The Chocolatey Pretzel McFlurry. (Full Story)
- A Chick-fil-A in Tennessee is offering free food for a year to anyone who returns its missing sign. Several people reported that they saw it “upside down at the bottom of a hill” . . . so there’s probably a mad rush to find it. (Full Story)