Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (and not-so-fun) facts:
- Quinine is the component of tonic water that causes it to glow in the dark.
- There are nine countries in the world where your boss is more likely to be a woman than a man: Togo, Nigeria, Jordan, Laos, Burkina Faso, Saint Lucia, Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Belize, and Jamaica.
- “Looney Tunes” cartoons were originally created by Warner Brothers as a way to showcase new music. Obviously, the cartoons themselves became much more popular.
- The “red phone” that’s a direct connection from the Pentagon to Russia has never been red OR a phone. It was originally a teletype machine . . . then a fax machine . . . and now it’s an email account.
- ‘N SYNC made a cameo in “Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones”. George Lucas’s daughter loved them . . . so he put them in the background of a scene. But they were cut out of the final version.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Walnut Day. . . and National Pack Rat Day. (Today’s holidays are apparently being brought to you by SQUIRRELS.)
- There are lists of the countries Americans most want to travel to, but now there’s a list of the best countries to LIVE abroad. It includes: Vietnam, Spain, Ghana, Argentina, Bermuda, Germany, South Korea, and New Zealand. (Full Story)
- When you’re buying food to take out, how much, if anything, do you tip? In a poll, 21% of people said 6% to 10% . . . 19% said NOTHING . . . and 17% of people said 11% to 15%. Those 65 and older were most likely to say NO TIP. (Full Story)
- According to a report on the Best Cities to Start a Career, the top five are: Salt Lake City . . . Orlando . . . Atlanta . . . Austin, Texas . . . and Seattle. (Full Story)
- A new study says that having MORE than two kids can have a negative impact on your brain. It’s unclear why a lot of kids is connected to cognitive decline, but some theories include: Stressed finances . . . and less “me-time.” (Full Story)
- A study claims cats can learn the names of the other cats AND humans they live with. Though the authors noted that cats are hard to study . . . since they have very little interest in participating. (Full Story)
- A man in Florida was seen GOLFING along the side of a highway. It looks like he pulled over and just started hitting balls. It’s unclear what his deal is. (Full Story)
- McDonald’s has decided to abandon Russia . . . permanently. They’re selling all their business there, after seeing what Russia is doing to Ukraine. (Full Story)