“Rolling Stone” has a list of the 50 most important “music moments” of the past decade . . . and it’s a mix of legitimately influential happenings, changes in the industry, and shameless viral sensations.
Here are 20 highlights from the list, in chronological order:
- November of 2010: The Beatles finally put their music on iTunes.
- March of 2011: 13-year-old Rebecca Black releases her viral hit “Friday“. “Fun, fun, fun, fun . . . kickin’ in the front seat, sittin’ in the back seat. Gotta make my mind up. Which seat can I take?” (???)
- July of 2011: Spotify makes its U.S. debut. It now has 248 million global users.
- April of 2012: A hologram of Tupac Shakur” performs” at Coachella.
- Winter of 2012: Psy’sviral hit “Gangnam Style” explodes on the Internet.
- Winter of 2013: The “Frozen”soundtrack smashes all expectations and earns an Oscar for its title track “Let It Go”.
- Summer of 2014: Canadian teenager Shawn Mendesgets half a billion views on Vine with six-second covers of Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran songs.
- September of 2014: U2 suddenly gave half a billion people unsolicited downloads of “Songs of Innocence” on their iTunes accounts.
- November of 2014: Taylor Swift abruptly pulled her entire catalog from Spotify, in a protest against their free tier. She returned in 2017.
- March of 2015: A jury decides that Robin Thickeripped off Marvin Gaye’s 1977 hit “Got to Give It Up”.
- March of 2015: James Corden and Mariah Carey do the very first “Carpool Karaoke”.
- July of 2015: Album releases move to Friday.
- April of 2016: The death of Prince shocks his fans and puts the future of his vaults of music in jeopardy.
- June of 2016: The Grammys vote to include streaming-only albums.
- January of 2017: “Despacito” sweeps the globe without a word of English.
- March of 2017: Futureunseats his own #1 album with another #1.
- July of 2018: Cardi Bis the first female rapper to score two #1 hits.
- January of 2019: The app TikTok finished 2018 with 1 billion downloads.
- March of 2019: Lil Nas X’s“Old Town Road” goes viral.
- July 2019 to present: Taylor Swift’spublic fight with Scooter Braun and her old label boss over her master recordings.
(Two other Best of the Decade lists have hit the Internet: Collider.com is running down the 15 best movie scores of the decade . . . and Billboard.com has a list of the 100 best music videos of the 2010s.)